Change of scope and target market for i386

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 27 18:11:39 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 12:16:33PM -0400, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
> Dear Release team,
>
> Please action the below and remove Ubuntu Desktop i386 daily-live
> images from the release manifest for Beta and Final milestones of
> 17.10 and therefore do not ship ubuntu-desktop-i386.iso artifact for
> 17.10.
>
> As a followup to this thread it has been confirmed that argumentation
> below is sound, and furthermore there is no longer any effective qa or
> testing of the desktop product on actual i386 hardware (explicitly non
> x86_64 CPUs).
>
> There are no other changes requested to d-i, mini.iso, archive, or the
> upgrade paths.

Done. What this means is that Ubuntu desktop is not releasing i386 with
the final beta, and we won't build i386 ISOs any more.

Other flavours are unaffected and, as xnox said, existing installations
that are on i386 on a previous release will be able to upgrade to 17.10
and 18.04 when they are released and they'll continue to be supported as
normal.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]