16.04.2 should have Mesa 13.0.4 out-of-the-box

Dimitri John Ledkov xnox at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 7 16:06:46 UTC 2017

On 7 February 2017 at 16:00, Mard Ward <mard.ward2015 at yandex.ru> wrote:
> Actually 16.04.2 is going to ship with Mesa 13.0.3 , proof - http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/01/mesa-13-0-3-ubuntu-16-04-lts
> it makes sense to include 13.0.4 instead of a planned 13.0.3, because 13.0.4 is better...

Regardless of what is shipped, it will receive updates and people will
dist-upgrade to the next update.

.3 vs .4 on the installation media makes no difference to the offline
installation, or the livecd experience, doesn't it?

One must have internet connectivity to subsequently receive updates,
and eventually, any mesa we ship on the point release media will be
out of date, and will be updated by users on the installed systems.
This is irrelevant for delaying or respinning point release media
over. The benefit of "latest point release" will literally decay
within a very short time.

Regards,

Dimitri.

> Best regards,
> Mard Ward
>
> 07.02.2017, 18:56, "Adam Conrad" <adconrad at ubuntu.com>:
>> On Tue, Feb 07, 2017 at 06:48:01PM +0300, Mard Ward wrote:
>>>  Mesa 13.0.4 has been released recently, and it is a good idea to
>>>  include Mesa 13.0.4 to ubuntu 16.04.2 before its release.
>>
>> Nope. That's not how this works. 16.04.2 will ship with the 16.10
>> X stack (including Mesa 12.0.6), and 16.04.3 will ship with the 17.04
>> stack, which will include Mesa 13.0.x.
>>
>> "Upstream released a new version" is not the deciding factor for what
>> goes into an LTS release.
>>
>> ... Adam

Regards,

Dimitri.