Size limits for images in xenial and beyond?

Tim tim at feathertop.org
Mon May 2 07:26:59 UTC 2016

Hi Steve,

On 02/05/16 13:28, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 12:30:06PM +1000, Tim wrote:
>> Hi Steve,
>>    Ubuntu GNOME decided a while back that our hard size limit would be to
>> fit on a 2GB usb stick, and just aim internally not to unnecessarily bloat
>> the images.  We just never got around to getting the limits officially
>> bumped up.
> Ok, so this supersedes the previous limit of 1GiB that's currently encoded?
> Should this 2GB limit be retroactive for trusty point release images, as
> well?  (Not currently needed, the trusty dailies are < 1GiB)
Yes, please update the image limits to 2GB for Xenial and Yakkety. I think we can leave the trusty limit as is, and deal with it at the point
release time if it sneaks over with the new HWE stack.

>> I don't think we need to be subscribed to oversize emails, the oversized
>> warnings are displayed in enough places, that it would be hard to miss.
> So that means these warnings weren't missed? :)
>
> ubuntu-gnome/daily-live: yakkety-desktop-amd64.iso oversized by 173490176 bytes (1247232000)
> ubuntu-gnome/daily-live: yakkety-desktop-i386.iso oversized by 206749696 bytes (1280491520)
Not missed, no. I have been aware that our images have been oversized since Vivid, that was why we discussed amongst our team increasing the
size limits, during the Wily cycle. Many of the flavour images have been marked oversize since around that time also, so never really considered
it a priority to get fixed properly! I would also say its incredibly unlikely we would accidentally exceed 2GB, with or without accurate warnings.