proposed-migration mis-handling of numexpr, pytables

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 11 23:58:55 UTC 2015

Hi Martin,

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 08:11:06AM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hello again,

> Steve Langasek [2015-08-10 14:50 -0700]:
> > It looks like there is a bug in the current p-m autopkgtest handling for the
> > case where the latest source of the package doesn't yet have binaries built.

> Fixed now with http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-release/britney/britney2-ubuntu/revision/463

> This is actually quite an old bug, we've never handled this situation
> very well. The above commit is still a compromise, but it now errs on
> the side of caution: We now wait for a reverse dependency D to build
> and run its tests before we promote a package P.
> This might lead to stalling an innocent P if a broken (FTBFS)
> reverse dependency D gets uploaded at the same time.

> This can/should be handled by overrides if fixing D isn't appropriate
> (i. e. it takes too long, and we wnat to unblock P after verifying
> that D's FTBFS is not P's fault).

Thanks for the quick fix.  While it may have been a pre-existing bug it was
clearly a pretty bad one, especially while in the midst of a major
transition.

Failing closed is certainly better than failing open here, so I'm happy to
have this change.  However, false-positives do cause drag on development.  I
think the correct policy here should be that, if the new version of the
reverse-dependency in wily-proposed has not yet been built, test results
from the most recent built version are used instead (whether that's a
previously-dispatched test, or a test that needs to be dispatched now
because of a new upload of this package).

Do you agree?  Would that be straightforward to implement?

Cheers,