A new "Unity 8" flavour

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Fri May 16 18:13:13 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 09:46:08AM +0100, Iain Lane wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 05:23:42PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Hi Iain,
> > […]
> > Instead of a separate seed branch for this, I recommend making this part of
> > the standard Ubuntu seeds at lp:~ubuntu-core-dev/ubuntu-seeds/ubuntu.utopic.
> > I don't see any reason that we would want this maintained independently of
> > the existing Ubuntu seeds / existing ubuntu-meta package, which is what a
> > separate branch would imply.
> The seed turns out to be quite close to 'touch' (the existing seed) so
> far, so I think it makes sense to have it as a part of this package.

I think the use of a separate "touch" seed for the phone images is itself a
historical artifact, owed to the bootstrap phase when the touch images could
not be built from the Ubuntu archive and therefore the metapackage could not
be part of ubuntu-meta.

IMHO the end goal of convergence dictates that we should not be eliminating
such separations wherever, and as early as, feasible.  The ubuntu seed
branch is already common to the desktop and server images; there's no reason
that mir should need a separate one going forward.