Plasma 5 on Kubuntu 14.10

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 3 08:57:47 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 09:38:00AM +0100, Iain Lane wrote:
> The old trademark policy
>
>   https://web.archive.org/web/20130319043422/http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy
>
> included the text
>
>   In general, a Remix can have applications from the Ubuntu archives and
>   approved extension repositories[0] added, or default applications
>   removed, but removing or changing any infrastructure components (e.g.,
>   shared libraries or desktop components) will result in changes too
>   large for the resulting product to be called by a Trademark.

What problem are you trying to solve here?  We would like a technical
preview image of the next generation of KDE Software so we can start
working on solving whatever problems we come across now rather than
have less time and solve them all in a six month cycle.  That seems
very sensible and desireable for the Ubuntu project to support and is
exactly what Kubuntu, as a sub-project of Ubuntu, needs.  We would
like to include a release of this so we can prepare for that important
aspect of making a distribution.  We would like to use a PPA for this
so that we don't need to worry about SRU policy if we want to do
updates and so we don't have to rename packages to co-exist in the
archive.  All the infrastructure is there for this on the Ubuntu side
so it's not a drain on people's resources.  If for whatever reason the
Ubuntu project does not want to help one of its own communities that
would be a crying shame and further proof of Ubuntu moving away from
being a project where community contributions are welcome, in which
case we'll just make our own infrastructure to do it.  But we'd much
rather work with Ubuntu because I was under the impression we are
Ubuntu.

Jonathan