[Merge] lp:~stgraber/indicator-power/revert-20130913 into lp:indicator-power

Adam Conrad adconrad at ubuntu.com
Sun Sep 15 18:03:42 UTC 2013

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 11:17:48PM -0500, Ted Gould wrote:

> Requires: Things will break if you don't have it

Depends is pretty much a hard requirement, yes, and fairly easy to
sort out at both the application and library level based on linking,
unconditional forking, etc.

> Recommands: Eh, things won't break but it won't really work without this

For applications, this comes down to "stuff that is usually/frequently
used by the application, but users can live without it if they really
want to."

For libraries, recommends should (IMO) almost never be used.  It's up
to the applications linking against your library to decide if they are
going to use the library's optional (and obviously optional, or this
would all be Depends) features.

I fought this battle with webkit (I think?) depending on a mess of gst
plugins, for the same reasons.  Not all things that link to webkit,
either directly or transitively, actually care about having a bunch of
fancy multimedia plugins.  The applications that DO care should depend
or recommend those plugins themselves.

> Suggests: These are things that might be helpful as well

Suggests is the fuzzy gray area of "everything that doesn't fit in
Depends or Recommends, but still might be nice to have installed along
with this application because it can potentially make use of it being
there", yes.

... Adam