[Merge] lp:~stgraber/indicator-power/revert-20130913 into lp:indicator-power

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 14 20:40:52 UTC 2013

On 14 Sep 2013 20:38, "Ted Gould" <ted at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2013-09-13 at 23:34 -0400, Stéphane Graber wrote:

>> > Ted, look at the discussion on IRC:
>> > http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2013/09/14/%23ubuntu-devel.html#t01:41
>>
>> So, to summarize, all the dependencies are indeed in main and so the
>> resulting package is perfectly fine on the phone.
>>
>> The problem is that this added dependency also brings 10 extra packages
>> to the Ubuntu Desktop installation, most if not all of those packages
>> are supposed to be touch-specific and as such benefit from the generic
>> touch FFe that was granted earlier on.
>

> I understand your concern about bringing in additional packages onto the
desktop image.  What I don't agree with is removing the feature from
indicator-power instead of figuring out the issues with all of those
packages being brought onto the image.  The issue is that
liburl-dispatcher1 recommends url-dispatcher, as is customary on libraries
that implement the interface of a service.

> We could remove the recommends.  While that is breaking with tradition,
from a practical level there will be no issue as url-dispatcher itself can
be seeded on the touch images and we'll only be using it's features on
those images anyway.

> If other people have solutions, I'd be happy to hear them.  I don't think
that we should revert a feature over a packaging issue.

Actually i wish libraries and dev packages did not depend on the runtime
utilities, they get in the way when crosscompiling stuff against the
library.

With respect to recommends - i think even now still ubuntu touch seed does
not seed recommends, only depends. Thus a recommends is not enough to get
that runtime utility onto the seed. Desktop seed however does consider
recommends. Is url-dispatcher ready to be used on the desktop? In that case
maybe apply for FFe to get it in now.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.