Merging SRU and release team, leaving

Christopher James Halse Rogers raof at ubuntu.com
Tue May 22 02:26:18 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 17:08 +0100, Iain Lane wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:24:02AM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > […]
> > Before we flip the switch and add ~ubuntu-release to ~ubuntu-sru, I'd
> > like to discuss two things for a bit:
> >
> >  * Bug mail: u-sru gets tons of bug mail. A lot of it is irrelevant
> >    for the SRU team itself, but it still needs to be scanned for
> >    regression reports and testing feedback (when you should update the
> >    verification-needed tag to -done).
> >
> >    When we merge the teams, the whole release team will get that mail,
> >    which is unnecessary. It would be enough if one or two people get
> >    it and are responsible for watching the mail traffic, it's not
> >    necessary for reviewing uploads or moving packages to -updates as
> >    long as you check the tail of the bug report before doing so.
>
> Is it necessary to read this as incoming email rather than just
> reviewing the bug activity when processing from pending-sru? I guess
> maybe then you wouldn't catch bad updates in -proposed which nobody tags
> v-failed? Does this happen a lot?
>
> >  * Rotation: With the entire release team now (potentially) doing
> >    reviews of the stable upload queues, it might be prudent to have a
> >    kind of roster (similar to the "archive admin of the day") rather
> >    than hoping that "someone else will do it". If there are five
> >    people available, we could empty the queues and do the -proposed →
> >    -updates promotion every day, and it should not take more than 15
> >    minutes every day.
>
> I wonder if pending-sru could be augmented to aid with processing a bit,
> by floating packages which are ready to be acted on to the top, like
>
>   - v-done SRUs > 7 days
>   - v-failed SRUs
>   - Uploads waiting in UNAPPROVED
>
> So that it's not such a slog to get a bit of SRU processing done and
> there's less chance of things being dropped. I don't know that every one
> of us will be able to volunteer enough time to be on regular duty.
> AFAICT the "Archive Days" thing has pretty much gone away now, probably
> because the team was organised well enough that it was unnecessary. I
> hope the same would happen for SRUs too.
>
> Looking at pending-updates now for the first time properly, there are a
> ton of bugs there that it seems are stalled and have been for quite some
> time. It's a bit overwhelming, but I guess that most of the entries are
> just stalled bugs. Can they be hidden by default? It doesn't seem that
> the SRU team is really going to do anything about them.

I agree with Steve; this is a failure of our process. I was talking with
Martin at UDS about this, and we thought that a script to detect such
uploads and ping the bug for testing, followed by removal from -proposed
would be a good start here.

Additionally, I said that I should be able to find the time to write
such a script at some point.

> > Finally, with me moving into a new role from June on [2] and being in
> > stable+1 team this month, I'd like to step down from both the release
> > and SRU teams. I'll still be available for mentoring, questions, and
> > the odd "can you urgently review this" actions, but not doing
> > milestone releases or regular SRU work any more.

Your new gig sounds extremely interesting, congratulations again!