Releasing Alphas and Betas without "freezing"

Pete Graner pete.graner at canonical.com
Wed Jun 20 13:36:02 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 3:07 AM, Rick Spencer
<rick.spencer at canonical.com> wrote:
> I think this was a very productive discussion. We considered a lot of
> possibilities from a lot of angles.
>
> All told, I think there are four points under discussion. I'd like to
> tease them out so we can move forward.
>
> Question 1: shall we stop freezing the archive at milestones?
> I believe there is not 100% consensus on this point, but enough
> support to try it for Alpha 2, a la Theirry's suggestion.
> QA Team/Foundations Team, do we/will we have the tools in place for Alpha 2?
>
> Question 2: shall we stop having milestones altogether?
> This question arose in thread. I don't believe there is consensus for
> doing this suddenly in 12.10.
>
> Question 3: shall we increase the rate of manual testing?
> This question also arose in the thread. I think there is widespread
> consensus that we should do this, and it is not actually related to
> the other questions.
> Community Team, is it feasible to increase the rate of full manual
> testing runs to every 2 weeks or similar?
>
> Question 4: shall we keep snapshots of the development release so that
> we can "bisect" more easily and find when bugs were introduced?
> This question also arose, and also is not tied to the other questions.
> QA Team, is it feasible to keep a set of snap shots somewhere for this purpose?

Yes. I spoke to Canonical IS yesterday and we have the space to keep 1
or 2 of the testing snapshots around. There will be some work on the
cdimage tooling to allow them to stay around and I'll coordinate with
the proper people to make that happen.

Thanks

~pete
--