Releasing Alphas and Betas without "freezing"

Rick Spencer rick.spencer at canonical.com
Wed Jun 20 07:07:32 UTC 2012

I think this was a very productive discussion. We considered a lot of
possibilities from a lot of angles.

All told, I think there are four points under discussion. I'd like to
tease them out so we can move forward.

Question 1: shall we stop freezing the archive at milestones?
I believe there is not 100% consensus on this point, but enough
support to try it for Alpha 2, a la Theirry's suggestion.
QA Team/Foundations Team, do we/will we have the tools in place for Alpha 2?

Question 2: shall we stop having milestones altogether?
This question arose in thread. I don't believe there is consensus for
doing this suddenly in 12.10.

Question 3: shall we increase the rate of manual testing?
This question also arose in the thread. I think there is widespread
consensus that we should do this, and it is not actually related to
the other questions.
Community Team, is it feasible to increase the rate of full manual
testing runs to every 2 weeks or similar?

Question 4: shall we keep snapshots of the development release so that
we can "bisect" more easily and find when bugs were introduced?
This question also arose, and also is not tied to the other questions.
QA Team, is it feasible to keep a set of snap shots somewhere for this purpose?

Cheers, Rici