Changes to the SRU processes?

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 31 19:36:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 04:33:59PM -0700, Brian Murray wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:14:57PM +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> > Le 17/07/2012 22:09, Scott Kitterman a écrit :
> > >This sounds to me like something that could have caught the recent problems,
> > >so +1 from me.  Double +1 since it's a solution that doesn't result in more
> > >random bug mail for me.
> >
> > One issue with those is the number of false positives, that's not
> > because a bug is opened by a proposed user that it's a regression,
> > it's likely that proposed users will as any user report issues when
> > they hit them and that most are not specific to the SRU they are
> > running...
>
> I went ahead and whipped something up to search for bugs from people
> running a package version from -proposed and have attached the results.
> I searched for bugs with apport tags and precise tags about every source
> package in precise-proposed opened since the package was published and
> then searched the description for the package version in -proposed - I
> only found four bugs so I'm not too worried about false positives yet.

Expanding upon this work I think the way forward is to have a bot that
searches for bugs from people running a package version from -proposed
that then tags a bug in the set of bugs fixed by that SRU
verification-failed.  In addition the bot will comment on the bug tagged
v-failed about the bug using the version of the package from -proposed.
In the event that the bug report from someone using the -proposed
package really isn't a regression we can tag that bug 'bot-stop-nagging'
and it won't be considered a regression.

Here is an example of the action that would be taken for precise:

Release: precise
  LP: #1030099 re the SRU for empathy made LP: #1017463
    verification-failed
  LP: #1030845 re the SRU for linux made LP: #1022747
    verification-failed
  The SRU for package lo-menubar already has a verification-failed bug
    in LP: #754562 so a comment was made
  LP: #1027970 re the SRU for udev made LP: #1017715 verification-failed
  LP: #1029371 re the SRU for unity made LP: #987156 verification-failed
  LP: #1029788 was skipped due to the tag bot-stop-nagging
  LP: #1029826 re the SRU for vlc made LP: #995003 verification-failed

Oh and if one of the SRU bugs is already tagged verification-failed
it'll just add a comment to that bug.  Barring any objections I'll set
this up this week.

--
Brian Murray