New template for Release Team Meeting

Kate Stewart kate.stewart at canonical.com
Fri Jan 13 13:39:53 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-01-12 at 09:26 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Thursday, January 12, 2012 01:16:16 PM Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 05:56:54AM -0600, Kate Stewart wrote:
> > >    Help please. We're going to try to reduce the last minute
> > >    activities
> > >
> > > needed to produce the release notes and technical overview, by capturing
> > > release notes as the changes occur, from the weekly team status emails,
> > > as well as workitems (more on this in a later note).
> > >
> > > To facilitate the automation, an additional section that has been added
> > > to the template for team's weekly status.
> >
> > This was what the "Release note" section in the wiki pages for
> > blueprints was supposed to be for.  Can we not continue to use that (or
> > restart using it) for feature notes?
>
> I'd like to second this.  Additionally I think the use of bugs in ubuntu-
> release-notes for bug related notes is very helpful since as release notes are
> developed the state of each individual note can be maintained.  I don't think
> weekly emails make a good place to deliver release notes content.

There are some nasty side effects on using the ubuntu-release-notes
(take a look at the backlog) and a lot of manual aspects to using them.
It is useful for catching those last minute bugs, so am not advocating
getting rid of it.

What I was hoping was to introduce a light weight way that can be
mechanically scanned and a first draft of extracted pieces put together
under the right headings,  for further editing and arrangement.
By capturing the info as it happens, its less likely things will be
forgotten in the last minute scramble.

Kate