Disabling whoopsie by default in the 12.04.1 release

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 20 10:49:21 UTC 2012

Hello Evan,

Evan Dandrea [2012-08-20 10:41 +0100]:
> How can you programmatically tell that a daemon crashing has not affected
> the UI?

We can't. We just know that in a lot of cases it doesn't.

> I disagree that they do not help anyone.

I didn't say that. I just said that there are a lot of such crashes
which do not affect the UI and which don't get fixed in a stable
release.

> > In many cases the popup itself _is_ the mystery, though :-(
> >

> Every other mainstream operating system has found a way to communicate to
> the user what just happened to their application.

I was specifically talking about crashes that do not affect
applications. As I said, I'm happy about the application crash popups,
I'd just reconsider the "Ubuntu has encountered an internal error"
popup, which does appear out of the blue.

> OS X does this:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyzyx/6899505621/
>
> Windows does this:
> http://elhombre.members.winisp.net/vista_watson01.png

These are both application related, and we do agree on that part.

> This is a proven design pattern. If the dialog text is confusing, lets
> focus on improving that.

They would still appear out of nowhere, are not SRU matter in many
cases, and not even visible in many cases. Changing dialog texts won't
help much with that, I'm afraid?

Thanks,

Martin