Disabling whoopsie by default in the 12.04.1 release

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 20 10:36:07 UTC 2012

Le 20/08/2012 12:26, Evan Dandrea a écrit :
> Apologies. It was not my intention to imply you accepted the decision,
> just that your team picked a number you would be happy with, and we
> came up with data that indicated we were below that.

Right, we picked a "3 dialogs showing up in a week" as a max rate, the
number you guys came up with is under that but:

- you took the number on a 90 days period I think, knowing that most of
the common issues would be stopped after 3 reports by apport. It's
likely that the number of the first weeks of use is much higher than the
one you came with and it's the one make the first impression (if people
give up after a week because Ubuntu is too buggy we just lost them even
if the annoyance would have gone down over time)

- we still didn't explain that 90% drop showing in a lot of the reports'
curves

- the 0.4 report/week/user just doesn't match real life experience,
nautilus and some other services generate a report every second logout,
that alone should put us over that number if you consider users restart
their computer once a day, and we didn't start counting any of the
"real" issues...

Well anyway, as said let's move on, but I still think we took a
non-decision to keep things the way they are based on approximative datas

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher