Disabling whoopsie by default in the 12.04.1 release

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 7 06:40:15 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 12:05:58PM +0100, Evan Dandrea wrote:

> I don't think we can claim having insufficient resources to fix every
> issue as a defense for not wanting to know about the most pressing issues.
> Quite the opposite, actually.  If we have fewer developers working on
> this, then it's all the more critical that they work on the problems that
> affect the most users.

I don't think Seb means that he doesn't want to know about the pressing
issues, only that the way we're finding out about these issues is doing more
harm to the user experience than good.  I don't necessarily agree, but I
think it bears looking at.

I also think we should think outside the box when looking for ways to get
that data that aren't giving users a bad impression (if indeed that's what's
happening).  For instance, what if we were to only pop up the whoopsie
prompt for every fifth crash on a user's system on a stable release?  The
per-user dialogue rate would be slashed by 80% (er, except for the fact that
our definition of "crashes per user per day" on errors.ubuntu.com can never
drop below 1), but the *relative* frequency of crash reports should stay
approximately the same - statistically speaking.