Disabling whoopsie by default in the 12.04.1 release

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 7 06:19:50 UTC 2012

Le 06/08/2012 19:49, Dylan McCall a écrit :
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 6:20 AM, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt at canonical.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sebastien Bacher wrote on 06/08/12 12:48:
>>> Right, most of the issues we get are with services and not
>>> applications though
>> That isn't true, unless today is a freak exception. Right now, out of
>> the 50 most common errors, only 17 are from services. The rest are
>> from applications.
> Isn't that _reported_ errors? Do you have any numbers for error popups
> that have been dismissed? Personally, I almost always dismiss the
> system error popups. They are vaguely worded and usually for the same
> problem in mission-control. The application errors, on the other hand,
> are upfront about what is broken. It's likely I have just seen that
> application crashing. I know (and care about) whatever is going on.
> Oh, it also helps that lots of background stuff loves to crash during
> shutdown / suspend / resume (resulting in crash popups when I log in),
> while application crash popups are at slightly less annoying, and more
> meaningful, moments. I'm willing to accept that I could be an
> exception, but I suspect the numbers of reported errors might be
> biased in this way.
>
> I don't run a computer lab, but I did upgrade someone's computer to
> Ubuntu 12.04. A few days later, I felt like a total jerk as I stepped
> him through disabling error popups using terminal commands. (I think
> he opened xterm instead of gnome-terminal, too). After that, he has
> been very happy with the system. It isn't that he doesn't like
> helping: he just doesn't want to be bothered about it, at random, by
> some popup that reads like the sky is falling. He has work to do, and
> he likes to focus on it rather than his computer. That's why he
> switched to Ubuntu a few years ago.

That's exactly a similar feedback that I received from the french
community. I was first surprised when, shortly after the release, people
mentioned precise as a "disaster", the "less stable release we ever
had", or again "shameful LTS" (vaguely translated from the French
forum). I also saw people reinstall back 11.10.

I only understand at a booth when people complained about the crash
dialog report and that it was the cause of this low quality perception.
Multiple cause on that:
- the crash is nagging them everyday, multiple times a day. "Why again
do you nag me about apps xxxx crashing even if I reported it three
times?". We are basically shooting in our feets and until we are ready
to deal with every crash report (and it was useful at the very beginning
of the released version), now we are just about to continue bothering
the user without having the man power to fix issues behind.
- then, most of the dialog seems to be dismissed, so as Dylan was
telling, this is not completely a good metric and only showing a small
part of the reality. With time, people are reporting less and less, so
even if we saw less crash reports on whoopsie for the LTS, we can't go
to any conclusion.
- some people think that whoopsie/apport is buggy. Indeed, they saw the
dialog about software-center crashing and still see the ui (even
updating). So "no, it didn't crash, I won't report that crash". I will
concure what was already told on the thread: this is really useful and
important to give feedback when something happens (like an X application
crashing) and telling "sorry" as well as giving them a way to restart
the application, however, there are too many cases when it seems to only
impact a background service, and even if it impacts the ui (like you
have to click again a button to get your results as the service
interrupted), I don't think that users stopped on that. They would
prefer clicking again than reporting a crash in addition to this click.
Also note that the crash dialog doesn't give any clue on how to get to
the wanted action. It just adds one more step from the user perspective
(even if it reports us useful data) with no obvious clue for them.
- the most important point in my opinion is that we are making the user
paying the price about the error. We are interrupting them when they are
using application X (or even maybe when they are watching a video on
youtube/totem) and popping up about "hey, the service Y crashed, do you
want to report it?". I guess this is my major issue about the problem
and really expecting your work on batching the error reports in a
sensible way to fix it. However until it's there and is SRUed to the
LTS, I'm really in favor of turning whoopsie off by default in the LTS.

Thanks,
Didier