[Kernel] Release Meeting 2011-11-18

Leann Ogasawara leann.ogasawara at canonical.com
Thu Nov 17 18:46:46 UTC 2011

Overall status is reported at the first link below.  Burn down for
Precise Alpha-1 (url currently unavailable) would be at the second link
below.  Burndown for the cycle (url currently unavailable) would be at
the third link:

[LINK] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/ReleaseStatus/Precise
[LINK] http://people.canonical.com/~platform/workitems/oneiric/canonical-kernel-team-ubuntu-11.10.html
[LINK] http://status.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-precise/group/topic-precise-kernel-tasks.html

== What was done engineering wise? ==

This past week the Ubuntu kernel team has rebased the Precise kernel to
upstream v3.2-rc2.  Some additional highlights include consolidating the
amd64 server and generic flavors, pulling an updated seccomp patch set,
building in ahci, and moving ext2 from being built in to enabled as a
module.  We plan to upload these changes by EOD Fri Nov 18, 2011.  This
will be the first upload based on a v3.2 kernel.

>From my own observations, we appear to be making good progress on our
Alpha-1 work items, but it's hard to give a definitive answer without
the burn down charts.

We've also been working to get some power consumption measurements for a
proposed upstream patch.  See the following wiki for more information:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/PowerManagement

== What's about to land that might impact the other teams? ==

After we've uploaded, we would appreciate any testing feedback
particularly from the server team since this will have consolidated the
amd64 server flavor into generic.

Additionally, there is a thread on the ubuntu-devel/ubuntu-kernel
mailing lists regarding a proposal to drop support for the i386 non-pae
kernel flavor for the 12.04 LTS release.  Discussions are still ongoing.

== Summary of bugs working on by team (reasonably reliable) ==

As we're haven't yet uploaded a v3.2 based kernel, we're tentatively
keeping an eye on the following bugs and will add the rls-p-tracking tag
to any that are not be resolved via v3.2.

LP:818830 - [Sandy Bridge] serious power regression from kernel 3.0.0-6 to 3.0.0-7 (rc6 disabled)
LP:855124 - XRANDR operations very slow unless (phantom) HDMI1 disabled
LP:753071 - Include DRM OMAP driver to have proper EDID detection
LP:836250 - Intel Corporation Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 poor networking

== Dependencies on other teams, blocking items ==
None.

== Issues? ==
None.