Clarifying Feature Freeze Definition

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 12 08:01:35 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 11:13:05PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Thursday, August 11, 2011 01:26:32 PM Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 11:17:22AM -0500, Kate Stewart wrote:
> > >    In asking around and after reading the documentation I'm hearing some
> > >
> > > varied opinions of what it actually means to feature freeze.  On reading
> > > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FeatureFreeze,  it seems to not be as specific
> > > as needed.
> >
> > I'm basically in agreement with Scott here.
> >
> > Also, could you share some of the varied opinions you've been hearing?
> > I think that generally folks on this list are roughly on the same page
> > and we're all pretty near the centre of the information firehose, so we
> > may not be in a good position to guess what confusion others are
> > suffering from.
>
> There was a discussion tonight about changes to build systems (e.g.
> pycentral/pysupport to dh_python2 or cdbs to dh) and if they require an FFe.
> I have always thought they did, but at least one developer was suprised.
>
> IMO fixing a broken build system is one thing, redesigning it post-FF is
> another (I've already uploaded on fix to the archive for a package that was
> uploaded and built an empty package due to a faulty dh_python2 transition).
>
> This should probably be clarified.

Yes, I'm with you here. Someone said these should "just" be packaging
changes, but it's clear that sometimes these changes can produce broken
binaries and so should be subject to review.

debc (and/or binary debdiff) output accompanied by a diff and a build
log should be enough to enable us to review this, though.

Simimlar for uploads to multiarchify libraries (not fixes to consumers
that are broken by multiarched deps), although I wouldn't consider
myself qualified to review those. :-)

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]