Computer Janitor not installed be default with Karmic UNR

Loïc Minier loic.minier at canonical.com
Sat Sep 19 10:29:22 BST 2009

 Cc:ing release team since I'm doing relatively large changes to the UNR
 seed at this point of the cycle; even if they seem the right thing to
 do and what we want for karmic, I prefer giving them a heads up here.

       Hey Robbie, Lars,

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009, Robbie Williamson wrote:
> Was this always the case?

 Yes (we created the UNR seed before computer-janitor was added to the
 desktop seed and didn't pick up the change).

 Background: We reviewed the UNR seed at our last distro sprint to check
 we were not missing any DX stuff, but we didn't review the whole
 desktop seed again.  Since this review, we are subscribed to the seed
 via Launchpad and we review ubuntu.karmic changes for merging into
 unr.karmic.  We also discussed a long term plan with Colin to have a
 common seed for common stuff between Ubuntu Desktop Edition and Ubuntu
 Netbook Remix, but this needs some new germinate features to be
 developed first (unlike desktop-common we'd like to be able to exclude
 some stuff, but not via the blacklist mechanism).  Finally, we discuss
 desktop technologies integration in the desktop and in UNR weekly in
 IRC meetings and phone calls with other teams.

 So I've just did a full review of the delta and it was much larger than
 I thought.  I rearranged the UNR seed so that it's easier to compare
 with the desktop seed and did these changes:
  - Add (evolution-plugins), (evolution-exchange), and (evolution-webcal) to
    match the evolution features on the desktop
  - Merge ubuntu.karmic r1551; seed software-store in place of
    gnome-app-install
  - Add (gnome-codec-install) as we do want this feature when playing media
    files under UNR
  - Add (transmission-gtk) for bittorrent downloads
  - Seed rarian-compat explicitely (but was already pulled anyway)
  - Seed pulseaudio-module-bluetooth instead of pulseaudio-module-udev
  - Add (gnome-disk-utility) to format USB keys etc.
  - Add gnome-session-canberra for login sound
  - Add gstreamer0.10-schroedinger for Dirac support
  - Update arch list in oo.o, tomboy and f-spot entries
  - Add (openoffice.org-help-en-us)
  - Add (computer-janitor-gtk)

 So thanks a lot for bringing this up!

 The remaining delta between desktop and UNR is:
 - we miss:
   * gdm-guest-session: we thought netbooks were single user and this
     wasn't required in UNR
   * gimp + libwmf0.2-7-gtk, brasero, openoffice.org-math, xsane,
     tsclient: considered in appropriate / useless in UNR or netbooks
   * rss-glx, xscreensaver-gl: incompatible with our clutter launcher
   * usb-creator-gtk, vino: I'm not 100% sure why we don't ship these;
     will bring them up on next desktop integration meeting
 - we add:
   * UNR stack (ubuntu-netbook-remix-default-settings, netbook-launcher,
     desktop-switcher, maximus, window-picker-applet, go-home-applet,
     webfav)
   * cheese

   Cheers,
--