replacing the Startup Disk Creator

flocculant at gmx.co.uk flocculant at gmx.co.uk
Fri Sep 25 18:37:53 UTC 2015

On 25/09/15 17:43, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Den 2015-09-25 kl. 18:21, skrev chris hermansen:
>> Nio and list,
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 7:19 AM, Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund at gmail.com
>> <mailto:nio.wiklund at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> [stuff deleted]
>>

>>      Bug #1499746
>>
>>      Hi Chris,
>>
>>      Maybe you can confirm the bug for amd64 (and click affects me too).
>>

>> Done, Nio.  Also added a comment.
>>
>> For completeness I decided to try making a startup disk of 15.04, since
>> I had one in my Downloads directory.  Somewhat to my surprise, this
>> produced a working bootable USB stick.  This comment also added.
>>

>> --
>> Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com
>>
>> C'est ma façon de parler.
> Hi Chris,
>
> Thanks for adding those detailed comments to the bug report :-)
>
> The problem seems to be that the Startup Disk Creator cannot manage the
> Wily iso files, while other tools can do it.
>
> I hope that Marc gets green light to go ahead and convert the Startup
> Disk Creator into a cloning tool. I'm sure he can make it reliable that way.
>
> Best regards
> Nio

Is there actually anything that's hard evidence yet?

Or are we still at the

... some people see some bugs in some way

.... other people see the same bugs in a different way

stage?

Which is just going to lead to yet another bug report with a bunch of
heat - but not actually going anywhere.

I'm happy to comment - but won't do so while we appear to only have a
small section of people with issues.

If the plan is to remove persistence and see what happens then that's
great.

Unfortunately the existing bug will include people marking as affects me
from un-supported releases of *buntu.

Just to make that point crystal clear - if it isn't 12.04 (for a couple
of flavours) , 14.04, 15.04 or 15.10 then it should be ignored.