replacing the Startup Disk Creator

Marc Deslauriers marc.deslauriers at canonical.com
Sat Sep 19 00:42:40 UTC 2015

Hi,

Thanks for trying it.

On 2015-09-18 06:01 PM, J wrote:
> I'm just going to throw this out there, because I abandoned SDC
> (usb-creator-gtk) ages ago in favor of unetbootin, and this thread prompted me
> to spend some time this afternoon checking it out and seeing if it was usable or
> not.
>
> Keep in mind, this is my sample size of one, but I tried three ISOs:
>
> original 14.04, most recent 15.04 and todays 15.10 daily live.
>
> I also tried 3 different USB sticks, an ADATA 16GB USB3, a Sony 8GB USB2 and a
> generic 4GB USB2 stick.
>
> I use LTSs for desktop, thus I have a current and fully updated 14.04.3 system.
> I also, for grins, tried creating these using both a USB3 hub that I use mostly,
> and directly attached to a USB3 port on my system, an HP Z220 workstation.
>
> 1: Not all of the options via CLI seem to work
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-creator/+bug/1497431

I can reproduce this on vivid. Thanks for reporting it.

> 2:  I was, using three different sticks, three different ISOs on my updated
> trusty system, unable to create ANY successful usb stick:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-creator/+bug/1497445

This is because the usb-creator that is in trusty-proposed, and already marked
as "verification-failed" is broken. Could you please try it again with the
version that is in trusty?

> 3:  I discovered that not only was I unable to create a usb stick using
> usb-creator-gtk, it also fails to clean up after itself after it fails to create
> usb sticks, leaving all sorts of mounted filesystems behind:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-creator/+bug/1497449
>
> So, point is, I completely understand the frustration that the others feel,
> because I feel it myself, and have for some time, especially when usb-creator
> has over 450 open bugs right now of varying importance, 205 of which are still
> in the New state going all the way back to Lucid and still untriaged.  I,
> myself, have 10 bugs filed against it, none of which were every moved beyond New
> or Confirmed.
>
> There appear to be 899 total bugs for usb-creator
> 424 in some open state (New, Confirmed, Triaged, Incomplete)
> 0 in In Progress or Fix Committed
> 229 in Fixed Released

That's not so bad, there are currently 3676 open bugs for the kernel and 2018
open bugs for Unity :)

> Today, when I want to try a daily image, I use a VM because I don't have to make
> a bootable usb stick to boot a VM.  If I want to install to bare metal, I have
> to use unetbootin, because for all its flaws, it works far more often than not,
> and certainly more often than SDC, for me.
>
> And I can only base this on my one experience, because while you may, somehow,
> be able to build USB sticks all day long using this tool, I, generally, have had
> the opposite experience with it, going all the way back to pre-Lucid.
> So it would seem to me that there are quite a few open and reported issues for
> usb-creator that present the perception of essentially being ignored.
>
> In any case, the above is my personal experience, and I don't presume to speak
> for anyone else in this discussion, so grain of salt, YMMV, and all that.

Every bug is important. What's needed is volunteers to help fix them.

Marc.