Fwd: Ubuntu Online Summit (3-5 Nov): Get your sessions in

Nicholas Skaggs nicholas.skaggs at canonical.com
Fri Oct 23 19:50:31 UTC 2015

On 10/21/2015 12:08 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Hi Nicholas and Marc,
>
> *Date and time*
>
> Wednesday would be the best day for me, and Thursday the second best day
> and Tuesday is not good at all.
>
> I don't know how to arrange a session, so I would rely on you to make it
> possible and book a time slot.
http://summit.ubuntu.com/getinvolved/propose-a-session/. You want a
discussion session. I can help if it's still confusing, but see below.
Sounds like you might not want a session anymore.

> *Content*
>
> Now that you, Marc, have started the work to revamp the SDC by
> simplifying it, and at the same time stating that none of the
> alternative installers can be accepted, I'm not sure what to discuss in
> such a session. Maybe something along these lines:
Seems you have some things to discuss, but it doesn't have to be a
session if you don't want it to be. Since we've settled on not changing
the default, the impact is certainly lessened and indeed there is less
to discuss. It's up to you. We should start a new thread to discuss your
questions though if you want to go that route. Perhaps a status from
Marc would help also.

> Can we decide to make the SDC reliable by removing its ability to create
> persistent live drives?
>
> 1. As a temporary solution to make it work again
>
> 2. In the long perspective
>
> 2.1. Should persistence be added afterwards, when a reliable method is
> found (for example the method, that was developed by Andre Rodovalho and
> modified by me in mkusb)?
>
> 2.2. Or is it enough that the SDC is creating 'live-only' pendrives?
> Users who want persistent live pendrives, can be adviced to use one of
> the available alternatives (but they will not be included in Ubuntu).
I think I'm in this camp. Keep the default as simple as possible. More
advanced usage can advocate other tools. And there's no reason they can
be packaged in the ubuntu archives so they are easy to get.