Reporting bugs for packages in the ubuntu-manual-test

istimsak saqman2060 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 14:24:36 UTC 2015

Hello everyone. It has been awhile since my last contribution to ubuntu
QA. Trying to get back into testing feels like stepping into a whole
new world again. Questions I will ask and things I will do might seem a
bit newbish to you. This happens when I lack effort.

I was in the process of testing vino and remmina as these two packages
are in need of testcases. Since I have never used these packages, I
needed to test them to get a feel for how they worked at the basic
level.

Vino turned out to be a bit confusing. I learned this is the default
VNC server for ubuntu-gnome. I an not using ubuntu gnome, don't have
the hardware for it. I was testing it on my lubuntu laptop 14.04.

The setup was not easy to configure or understand. It seems to be a
server that must be executed from the command line. There was no man
page for it. Online documentations were too brief and there are no
other forms of configuration other than how a user connects to the
server but not every attribute of the server, if this makes sense.

During testing, I became more confused with this package. I filed a
bug, not because it did not work, but because configuration
documentation was limited. I wasn't sure what to do. Plus, I would
think something installed by default should be simple for anyone to
configure and use.

What approach should I have taken?

Istimsak Abdulbasir