Asking users to upstream

chris hermansen clhermansen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 20:53:29 UTC 2015

Alberto and list,

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 7:43 AM, Alberto Salvia Novella <
es20490446e at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thomas Ward:
> > At the point of checking if Upstream supports the version of the
> > software, then perhaps give an advisory to upstream.
>
> So shall I add now that very same recommendation?

Has this discussion generated any useful answer?

I haven't been asked by Alberto to file upstream reports, but I have been
recently asked to do so by Christopher Penalver in relation to bug 1444110;
and I have done so; and he has handled the linking with Launchpad and the
LibreOffice Bugzilla; and I have seen upstream reports coming back through
Launchpad, though not everything going on on Bugzilla is making it back to
Launchpad; and bug priority on Bugzilla has changed from high to highest.

So based on my limited evidence this seems to be working, and it seems like
a reasonable and decent sort of way to bring the bugs to the attention of
the upstream maintainers.  I recall a similar experience a few years back,
but not the details.

I get that filing an upstream bug request for an out of date, unsupported
version is not especially useful, but finding out that such is the case
seems potentially quite useful.

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.