Asking users to upstream

C de-Avillez hggdh2 at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 29 17:43:15 UTC 2015

On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 16:43:55 +0200
Alberto Salvia Novella <es20490446e at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thomas Ward:
> > (First character here is EMOJI - NonDisplay on Ubuntu +
> > Thunderbird). We've had this discussion MANY times prior with you
> > and on this list about using Emoji - don't.
>
> Okay, you are right.
>
> I promise I won't be posting emails with pictographs, at least while
> Ubuntu LTS prints that horrible default character. And if the
> situation changed, I would be asking for your permission before
> posting them.

Please simply do not use them. You are assuming that, because you use
emojis, everybody else also does so.

This is not true (myself included). My emails are text-only, not HTML,
and no expectation of anything different. And we have to cater for
*all*, not only those that use, and can receive, emojis in emails.

There is a simple reason for that: text-only is the *common* base:
every email client supports it.

(Now, if I am texting, I will use emojis. No problems there.)

> On the other hand it's very sad not being able to use visuals, as I
> feel they bring plenty of dynamism when used adequately.

See above. It is, perhaps sad (personally, I do not understand why).
But it is certainly sadder when I receive an email with with them, and
lose the desired meaning.

> Perhaps string emoticons instead? (^_-)

Yes, please. Again, all email clients will display emoticons.

Cheers,

..C..

--
ab alio expectes alteri quod feceris