Fwd: Re: Asking users to upstream

Thomas Ward teward at trekweb.org
Tue Apr 28 18:55:51 UTC 2015

Comments below.

On 04/28/2015 02:33 PM, Alberto Salvia Novella wrote:
> Seems that I cannot longer mail the Quality team. Probably someone got
> angry with 🍘.
I've already had this discussion with Nicholas Skaggs again.  It was
decided previously as a matter of POLICY for this list to not use
Emoji.  And while the mailing list is supposed to filter it out, Unicode
ones can still make it in.

This is NOT the first time you've been told this, so once more, follow
that discussion and stop the emoji.  Like my prior emails had said too.

I think this is a case where we need to actually check the upstream
versions, for older releases.  There are multiple instances where I can
think this would be an issue, but it still needs to be checked by
triagers before asking upstreams.  Most upstreams will likely make the
'supported versions' list available.  At the point of checking if
Upstream supports the version of the software, then perhaps give an
advisory to upstream.  Or instruct users on how to check, or to check at
the upstream's website(s).

Thomas