Asking users to upstream

Thomas Ward teward at trekweb.org
Mon Apr 27 19:12:28 UTC 2015

On 04/27/2015 03:10 PM, Javier Domingo Cansino wrote:
> I have one more concern, closely related to that last one. Ubuntu is
> not a bleeding edge distro and because of that, development upstream
> can be affected by already corrected bugs. In Arch Linux for example,
> users report all bugs upstream but the ones concerning the packaging.
> This flow however is damaging (IMO) when users are served outdated
> versions of programs.

Debian is in the same boat, though.  However, you are correct - the
workflow of upstreaming 'outdated' software version bugs upstream can
cause unnecessary noise and disruption in the upstream bug trackers, and
that should be a consideration point for this workflow item of
"upstreaming" things.

Thomas