HP Compaq nx9030 and 14.04.1

Ali Linx ali.linux at amjjawad.net
Tue Oct 7 14:32:33 UTC 2014

On 10/07/2014 05:54 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:

>> Hello again,
>>> It could also be a hardware error, anything from a bad (electric)
>>> connection to bad ram or a failing component on the motherboard or a
>>> failing power supply unit (giving low voltage, near the limit).
>> You are right. It has 1023 bad sectors and it says: "Disk Failure is
>> Imminent" so I will tell the owner of the machine. He knows his machine
>> is very old and he just wanted to try GNU/Linux on it before installing
>> it on any other newer machine of his.
>>> Best regards
>>> Nio
>> Thank you for everything, both of you :)
>>
>> I think so far so good .. hope I won't face any problem again :)
>> No, I don't think he is interested to replace his HDD and therefore, I
>> will ask him not to complain in case his machine will be frozen again ;)
>>
> It is a nice feeling, when you have found the source of the problems :-)

Hi Nio,

Indeed, it is a nice feeling.

After sending the email, the machine started to freeze more often. I
talked to the owner of the machine. He mentioned that he remembered that
issue with Microsoft Windows and we might need to isolate the first 5GB
of the HDD.

It is an old 80GB HDD on an old machine. Myself and the owner of the
machine don't think it is wise to invest money or waste time to find new
HDD. He just wanted to use a GNU/Linux system on real hardware. He has
Ubuntu 14.04 on a virtual machine on his MacBook Pro but he did not like
Ubuntu.
He said he likes Xubuntu better.

I explained to him how to do the partitions, etc and if he couldn't
manage it, I will do it, yet again, for him. I have had such issues before.

I feel bad that I didn't pay attention to the hard drive before I waste
my time and others but .. without doing such mistakes, we shall never learn.

> Best regards
> Nio

Thank you and thanks to Alberto :)

We found out the reason for all this mess. Maybe we blamed the system
but it is the hardware that is failing, not really the system. However,
14.04 has proved it is not really for very old machines. It could be
unfair case to be used as an example but more tests could prove that and
make it more clear.

@Everyone else:
Thanks for reading. Case closed for now :)

--
Ali/amjjawad
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad