Introduction

sammykur sammykur at hotmail.com
Wed May 7 19:33:38 UTC 2014

Well I guess I will start with some of my background when i was a kid I
had a commodore vic 20 and used to leave that thing plugged in for weeks
at a time to get to see a ball bounce across the screen . (no tape deck)
If I remember correctly the book that came with that thing was terrible
all i can remember is programs written out and copying the text. When it
didn’t get unplugged I would change the values of numbers and move
things around within the programs and try to see the effects of each. I
grew tired of not being able to save things and lost interest.

My next exposure to a computer was in math class in JR high they bought
Apple II Ecomputers and the teacher had no clue what to do with them. We
spentj ust a few days on them in a year one of the days he spent
"teaching " the class how to turn them on. We were paired into groups of
two and he would give each group instructions separately and then watch
each person turn it on.Then we spent three days doing the hello world
thing At the time I didnt realize how ignorant or lazy he was.

When i was in my 20's I purchased my first computer and used it for cad
drafting ,word processing and things like that. I still remember having
to order and put in a math coprocessor. It had windows 3.1 on it ,I
really liked that OS. I thought when everyone was switching over to 95
they were nuts. Seemed to me that they just put more whistles and bells
on it and made it harder to use.

I really don’t remember what happened to that 386 but I really wasnt
very enthused about computers from 95 till the last few years of XP.
sometime around 2005-2006 my wife bought a dell and i never could get on
it,so i went to rummage sales and would pick up computers off the side
of the road and put together a P2 system from the parts i had found, ran
XP on it. I was in love with the hardware end of computers from then on.
There is a gov surplus store that sells computers near me ,sometimes I
get the urge and just cant help myself $15 dollar coreduo why not even
if there is not hard-drive.Ubuntu is great for checking them out as they
are sold as is for parts. I am a computer packrat I built shelves in my
computer room just to store the stuff. I have about 6 of any generic
item you could name.,plus computers themselves.(not to mention a still
sealed copy of windows 3.1 yea)

I was pretty happy with the hardware end of things but i still wasnt
satisfied with just using programs, I always was tinkering with the OS
in some way or doing something the average windows user had never
thought about. silly things like changing the boot screen, using xplite
and other programs to customize windows. did a little bit from the
command prompt but really didn’t have the support resourse like terminal
does (probably there if you seek them out) I usually broke my OS about
once a month and still do usually beyond the point of no return or else
it gets too cluttered up and i just start over.
I just love Ubuntu, wiped windows on day 2 after retrying it. I had
tried it once before but kept the crutch and leaned on it more and more.
This time it was an easier transition Ubuntu has become more user
friendly (software canter helps a lot at first) for noobes and I found
the forums.. I have had nothing but positive experiences in the forums.
I put together my first bash script to install cuda on my system about a
week ago(with lots of help,thanks everybody) and have been slowly adding
to it so next time i reinstall i can just run it after install.

Sorry if this seems long winded but I thought the more you knew about me
the better you might be able guide me to where i could do the most
good.(I hope everyone else’s into isn’t just "hey hows it going just
signed up")

I have gotten so much out of Ubuntu I thought it time to give back,

sammykur

"If you are falling off a cliff you might as well try to fly"