[Ubuntu-touch-coreapps] Enabling Cmake for all the core apps

Nekhelesh Ramananthan krnekhelesh at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 21:53:43 UTC 2014

This is a request to revert the cmake transition for all the core apps
since it is effectively blocking crucial application testing on the device
through QtCreator. Before the cmake transition, my work flow comprised of
implementing a patch/feature and then immediately testing it on the device
by pressing Ctrl+F12 through Qtcreator. This made testing applications on
the device quite easy. However as now, that no longer works since QtCreator
now complains of a missing desktop file. I have tried fixing it by
discussing it with zBenjamin and balloons on IRC, however at the end of the
day this is still broken.

I understand the major motivation for the cmake transition was to help
easily build click packages (using click-buddy) and ready them for
deployment to the device. However this is already easy enough to do in
Qtcreator by simply pressing *Ctrl+F12* or rather using the "*Install on
Device*" feature. As far as I understand, click-buddy doesn't help with
running autopilot tests on the device either. I am really questioning the
benefit of the cmake transition. If there is something that I am missing
here, please do explain this to me.

If you agree to the request, please submit patches reverting the commits
done.

Cheers,
Nekhelesh