A proposal to combine quality and bugsquad teams

Dr. David Alan Gilbert ubuntu at treblig.org
Thu Oct 24 10:08:31 UTC 2013

* Nicholas Skaggs (nicholas.skaggs at canonical.com) wrote:

Hi,

> To help with this I've created a series of roles for the quality
> community; https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Roles/. For the tester
> role, I've incorporated bugsquad activities in addition to the
> traditional activities a QA team member could partake in. I feel
> like the listed 'tester' role could be assumed by anyone today in
> the bugsquad, but please correct me if I am wrong. We can certainly
> define an additional role if it makes sense.

I'm not 100% sure it's right to combine the two parts into the tester
role; while it's true that I tend to run the development release,
as a bug-squader I primarily triage and don't test.
Other than one or two dev installs as part of a cycle, I'll tend
to only test things in bugs being triaged for repeatability/repeatability
on the latest dev.

> I would like everyone's feedback before I think too long about the
> the implementation details. Simply put, as a quality team we need to
> know how to be good bug reporters. And as testers we have the skills
> needed to triage and verify bugs and fixes. I think it makes sense
> to utilize the skills both teams posess and combine them as part of
> the quality community.

Yes, I think it makes sense to combine them; in particular from triaging
a lot of bugs you do tend to get a feel for things that might need
more testing.  Also I'm assuming where a test set is known of it would
be good for triagers to help spot test escapes.

Dave

/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    |       Running GNU/Linux       | Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org |                               | In Hex /