Oh my god

matteo sisti sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 20:40:01 UTC 2013

Hi,

The Ubuntu QA team's website invites visitors to join the list and
introduce themselves, so here I am introducing myself to the list.

I am an Ubuntu user and I have been more and more frustrated by the
exponentially growing unusability and unstability of Ubuntu throughout the
last years. But I will focus on unstability here.

Now I am astonished to see the point it has reached.
I have installed a fresh new Ubuntu 13.04 on a brand new computer.
First, the Firefox browser stopped working after updating it (simply via
apt-get) and it turned out to be because ~/.cache/mozilla somehow got the
wrong owner (root) rendering it unaccessible and preventing Firefox from
reading the user profofiles and hence to work at all.

But now, after a reboot, I find myself with an empty desktop with no Unity
launcher nor system bar. None of the workarounds described at
http://askubuntu.com/questions/17381/unity-doesnt-load-no-launcher-no-dash-appears/
 or https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/1212987 work.

So after delirious usability killers (I won't mention them here as I want
to focus on UNSTABILITY), after the impossibility to hibernate, after the
impossibility to suspend on low battery, after random x.org crashes started
to appear which would just suddenly log you out destroying all unsaved data
at the blinking of an eye, now we have reached the point where you may just
reboot and find yourself with a completely unusable system, roughly
equivalent to one that won't even boot. Which means you are forced to
either waste a couple of days googling for a fix, or reinstall the whole
system just until this happens again.

End of rant.
Matteo

--