13.10 testing - Saucy Salamander

Barry Drake b.drake at ntlworld.com
Sat May 11 14:04:20 UTC 2013

Last Tuesday, I took the available updates for 13.10 testing, using
Update Manager.  There was no kernel update and no need to restart. The
next morning, I got to the login screen, but the top panel showed dodgy
icons instead of the proper ones.  On logging in, I got a blue screen
and a cursor, but nothing else.  I can update using ctrl+alt+F1 to give
me a terminal, and doing sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get
upgrade, but the updates so far don't fix the problem.

I can't file a bug as I don't have any idea which program is causing it
.....   Any thoughts as to whether I can do anything useful until an
update fixes the problem?

I have tried all the obvious thing like checking for broken packages,
fix dependencies and removing and re-installing ubuntu-desktop but so
far no success.  Nexy week, I will try a new download of the daily build
and see if this will work.  In the event of no other suggestions, I'll
just re-install.  I'm very new to this list so hope it's OK to post a
query like this.

Kind regards,        Barry.