[Pentium M] Poll

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Thu May 9 17:29:10 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-09 12:52, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> We are running a survey/poll to find out:
>
> *How Many Users are having Pentium M CPU?*
>
> - If you are in Linux, please run this command in your Terminal to find
> out whether you do have a Pentium M CPU or not:
>
> cat /proc/cpuinfo
>
> - If you are using Windows, please go to Control Panel > System OR Right
> Click on My Computer > Properties
>
> So, please *_BEFORE_* voting, make sure what type of CPU do you have :)
>
> As always, thank you so much for taking the time to vote!
>
> http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XQC6KNZ
>

> *_Note:_*
> *You can ONLY vote once!*
>

> Regards,
> Lubuntu Communications Team
>
> --
> *Best Regards,*
> *amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/>*
> *Start Ubuntu
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/CommunicationsTeam/WOWLubuntu/StartUbuntu>*
>
> /Test Machine: ASUS F3F Laptop - //Intel Core Duo T2350 @ 1.86GHz with
> 489MB RAM/

We stopped the poll at 100 replies. And here are my personal comments:

In this short time 30 people have reported that they have a Pentium M.
My guess is that at least 20 of them have pae capability but no pae
flag, so they can benefit from Lubuntu-fake-PAE.

And it is 30% of those responding, which is much higher than I had
expected. Anyway, combined with the number of people who have reported
that they are affected by bug #930447 at Launchpad, 93, we are assured
that many people have Pentium M.

OK, the Lubuntu users are probably running much older hardware than the
average computer user, but anyway, I think you can easily imagine how
many Pentium M computers there are running Windows XP.

We can help the users keep these computers running, now that we have
methods to make attractive software available at 'XP end of life' in
April 2014.

Best regards
Nio