Ubuntu Friendly

komputes komputes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 04:11:54 UTC 2013

On 13-01-14 09:38 PM, cprofitt wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-01-14 at 09:44 +0000, Mike Heald wrote:
>> On 13/01/13 17:43, cprofitt wrote:
>>> I tried making UF today, but was unable to do so. The error message
>>> got was:
>>>
>>> ----
>>> Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement
>>> egenix-mx-base==3.2.4 (from -r requirements.txt (line 2)) (from
>>> versions: )
>>> No distributions matching the version for egenix-mx-base==3.2.4
> (from -r
>>> requirements.txt (line 2))
>>> ----
>>>
>>> I was also unable to install "Unable to locate package
>>> python-egenix-mx", but I am not 100% sure that they are related.
>>>
>>> I think it will help the project if we can build a good step-by-step
>>> guide to build UF.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been ill for the past few days, so sorry for not replying
> sooner.
>> I'll get on to the queries over the next day or so as I catch up with
>> work I've missed.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mike
>
> Mike:
>
> Let me know what I can do to help.
>
> Everyone on the QA list:
>
> We are having a conversation about getting Ubuntu Friendly rolling
> again. It was suggested after some brief initial conversations that we
> move the discussion to this list.
>
> Ubuntu Friendly:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFriendly
>
> https://friendly.ubuntu.com/
>
> The site is done in Django and the LP site is here:
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-friendly
>

> Please let us know if you are interested in assisting with getting
> Ubuntu Friendly rolling as a community driven project.
>

> Charles Profitt

Yes please include me Charles. I have always been interested in setting
up a hardware compatibility database for Ubuntu. The idea of UF is
amazing, but the limitation I run into on a regular basis with UF is
that only entire systems are shown. Why is this a limitation?

How often do you find the exact same system these days? Duplication (in
this context a good thing, as it confirms compatibility) is low because
models are not exactly the same. From one week to another, one batch to
another, a manufacturer can change hardware components making it a new
system.

Therefore I suggest that if we have a chance to improve UF, we make it
component based (USB and PCI ID based). Please contact me if you are
interested in discussing this improvement.

--
-komputes