Unusability of bluetooth is one of the worst plagues in Ubuntu

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 17:33:06 UTC 2013

On 26/12/13 18:07, Thomas Ward wrote:
> Um... lemme comment in a few things I see wrong in your email.
>
> Firstly, bug importance isn't "set" based on yours or mine's opinion only, there's certain things that importance is influenced by. (http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Importance).

Yes, and importance "low" for such an issue is wrong based on those
criteria, not on my or your opinion.
(So this wasn't something wrong in my email, but that doesn't matter)

 > Secondly, the compatability of Bluetooth cards and transceivers with
 > the kernel is an issue.  We have the same problem with some
 > wifi cards and even sound cards.  Ultimately if there are no Linux
 > drivers for a certain Bluetooth card then either drivers need to be
 > written or the manufacturer has to have Linux drivers made for that.

Ok, I don't see how that's something wrong in my email, but that's
interesting. So, writing drivers for bluetooth cards (if that is the
cause of the many issues with bluetooth) is one of the places where
effort should be concentrated in order to make Ubuntu quality better.

> Thirdly, your attitude of "anger" at this issue, Matteo, by swearing and such in your message,

Where did I swear in my message? Oh yes, sorry, "shitty operating
systems like Windows", that was the only one. Sorry about that. Note
that wasn't about anyting related to ubuntu, however.

 > gets us nowhere.

I don't expect my anger to get anybody anywhere but I was trying to give
a suggestion. IIUC, The QA list is meant to discuss what actions could
be taken to improve Ubuntu quality, right? Among which, which categories
of bugs may need serious attention.
So here's the point I was trying to make: there are a pretty huge bunch
of bugs related to bluetooth that are degrading the Ubuntu experience a
lot, are even getting worse over time, and are not getting the attention
they deserve (which is demonstrated by the fact most of them don't even
the importance decided, let alone correctly or not).

So that's a problem to take into consideration, just in case it wasn't
already, and whether or not the person pointing it out (me) is an
####hole shouldn't matter a lot.