Unusability of bluetooth is one of the worst plagues in Ubuntu

Thomas Ward teward at trekweb.org
Thu Dec 26 17:07:45 UTC 2013

Um... lemme comment in a few things I see wrong in your email.

Firstly, bug importance isn't "set" based on yours or mine's opinion only, there's certain things that importance is influenced by. (http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Importance).

Secondly, the compatability of Bluetooth cards and transceivers with the kernel is an issue.  We have the same problem with some wifi cards and even sound cards.  Ultimately if there are no Linux drivers for a certain Bluetooth card then either drivers need to be written or the manufacturer has to have Linux drivers made for that.

Thirdly, your attitude of "anger" at this issue, Matteo, by swearing and such in your message, gets us nowhere.  As these lists are public, and many many people are on these lists, getting angry on the QA mailing lists doesn't help.

Ultimately, yes, I think your points that some features don't work is why Ubuntu hasn't gained a huge amount of use.  In the long run these things tend to get fixed though.  (As well, we have to typically wait for drivers to be written by either the open source community or the hardware manufacturer before we can truly "fix" all hardware problems where cards don't work in Linux, though, and creating drivers takes a while and a lot of effort so for that one you need a ton of patience.)

------
Thomas

*Sent from my phone.  Please excuse any typos, as they are likely to happen by accident.*