guided upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS.

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Sun Sep 2 15:31:51 UTC 2012

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 16:43:29 +0200
Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund at gmail.com> wrote:

> [typing error: of course it should be ... compared to old 10.04 ... :
>
> 3. Unity as well as gnome-shell are much slower and need more memory
> than before, so it makes the computer slow compared to old 10.04. I'm
> talking about computers with (2 and 4) CPUs and (2 and 4 GB) RAM.]
> -----
> I can confirm that
>
> 1. I'm still making progress, but I'm not ready to make 12.04 LTS to my
> main OS. 'The workhorse' is still 10.04 LTS.
>
> - I had some problems with screenlets, that I fixed with direct calling
> of the python command lines (via a small shellscript).
>
> - VirtualBox in that fresh install was in 64-bit 12.04 Ubuntu. And it
> was the version from the repos without USB.
>
> * Has anybody managed to get USB running in VirtualBox in 12.04? *
> * or in 12.10? *

Not being as smart as some people, I did not bother paying attention to
Oracle's PUEL warning for this. I installed Xubuntu 12.04, then
installed VirtualBox from the repositories. I got a warning that USB
would not work without the extension pack, so I did the following:

Go to virtualbox website and download the extensions pack, ignoring the
wording about it being for PEUL only.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
VirtualBox 4.1.20 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack  All platforms

Go to the download directory, double-click the extension pack you
downloaded.

Click on install, agree to the PUEL license. When the install screen
comes back, USB is usable.

Hopefully, this will work for you, too.

--
Charlie Kravetz