General Autopilot stuff

Nicholas Skaggs nicholas.skaggs at canonical.com
Fri Nov 30 16:17:35 UTC 2012

On 11/29/2012 10:08 PM, Javier P.L. wrote:
> On 11/29/2012 08:17 PM, Jayson Rowe wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>> I'd love to help out but I do have limited time in the evenings, and
>> more on the weekends. I'd seen Nicholas' posts on Autopilot, and as a
>> Selenium WebDriver tester by day, it looked like an interesting way to
>> give back.
>>
>> Tonight I finally took some time to look through everything, and I have
>> a few suggestions.
>> First, all the information out there is very fragmented. It would be
>> great if someone (on the "inside", maybe) could work toward
>> consolidating all of this - the blog-posts are great, and there seems to
>> be some stuff on the Wiki as well, but it all seems incomplete (I know
>> this is all new to everyone).
Yes, point well taken. Currently, I'm trying to pull out information and
consolidate it. The wiki page will need to be updated, and the docs are
still a WIP (both have a mostly unity centric view on using the tool).
Please do keep us honest on this, but I'm working on it. After the blog
posts are complete, I want to update and ensure the wiki and autopilot
documentation is up to snuff for gtk stuff. We're breaking new ground by
using autopilot for testing outside of unity, so as you say we're
breaking new ground and documenting it as we go ;-)

>> I followed the instructions on Nicholas' latest post, and cloned down
>> the 'autopilot-walkthrough' branch from bzr and none of the tests will
>> run. This is with the version of autopilot from the PPA. Also, I found
>> on the wiki on this page (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Unity/QA/Autopilot)
>> some install instructions with a list of packages to install, so I did
>> that as well, and still no luck.
>>
>> Here is a couple of examples of what I'm getting (this is on a fresh
>> Ubuntu 12.10 VM I created just for this:
>>
>> jayson at ubuntu:~/autopilot-walkthrough/firefox$ autopilot run firefox
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>    File "/usr/bin/autopilot", line 317, in <module>
>>      main()
>>    File "/usr/bin/autopilot", line 297, in main
>>      run_tests(args)
>>    File "/usr/bin/autopilot", line 148, in run_tests
>>      test_suite = load_test_suite_from_name(args.suite)
>>    File "/usr/bin/autopilot", line 246, in load_test_suite_from_name
>>      package = __import__(top_level_pkg)
>> ImportError: No module named firefox
>>
>> and another example:
>>
>> jayson at ubuntu:~/autopilot-walkthrough/helloworld$ autopilot list
>> helloworld
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>    File "/usr/bin/autopilot", line 317, in <module>
>>      main()
>>    File "/usr/bin/autopilot", line 295, in main
>>      list_tests(args)
>>    File "/usr/bin/autopilot", line 127, in list_tests
>>      test_suite = load_test_suite_from_name(args.suite)
>>    File "/usr/bin/autopilot", line 246, in load_test_suite_from_name
>>      package = __import__(top_level_pkg)
>> ImportError: No module named helloworld
>>

>> If someone could point me to what may be wrong that would be great.
>
> Hi Jayson,
>
> Yep, this is all new, it's for me too, in a good sense, your error I
> think it's because you're running autopilot from:
>
> ~/autopilot-walkthrough/firefox
> ~/autopilot-walkthrough/helloworld
>
> You need to do it from:
>
> ~/autopilot-walkthrough/