General Autopilot stuff

Jayson Rowe jayson.rowe at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 02:17:17 UTC 2012

Hi Everyone,
I'd love to help out but I do have limited time in the evenings, and more
on the weekends. I'd seen Nicholas' posts on Autopilot, and as a Selenium
WebDriver tester by day, it looked like an interesting way to give back.

Tonight I finally took some time to look through everything, and I have a
few suggestions.
First, all the information out there is very fragmented. It would be great
if someone (on the "inside", maybe) could work toward consolidating all of
this - the blog-posts are great, and there seems to be some stuff on the
Wiki as well, but it all seems incomplete (I know this is all new to
everyone).

I followed the instructions on Nicholas' latest post, and cloned down the
'autopilot-walkthrough' branch from bzr and none of the tests will run.
This is with the version of autopilot from the PPA. Also, I found on the
wiki on this page (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Unity/QA/Autopilot) some install
instructions with a list of packages to install, so I did that as well, and
still no luck.

Here is a couple of examples of what I'm getting (this is on a fresh Ubuntu
12.10 VM I created just for this:

jayson at ubuntu:~/autopilot-walkthrough/firefox$ autopilot run firefox
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/autopilot", line 317, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/autopilot", line 297, in main
    run_tests(args)
  File "/usr/bin/autopilot", line 148, in run_tests
    test_suite = load_test_suite_from_name(args.suite)
  File "/usr/bin/autopilot", line 246, in load_test_suite_from_name
    package = __import__(top_level_pkg)
ImportError: No module named firefox

and another example:

jayson at ubuntu:~/autopilot-walkthrough/helloworld$ autopilot list helloworld
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/autopilot", line 317, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/autopilot", line 295, in main
    list_tests(args)
  File "/usr/bin/autopilot", line 127, in list_tests
    test_suite = load_test_suite_from_name(args.suite)
  File "/usr/bin/autopilot", line 246, in load_test_suite_from_name
    package = __import__(top_level_pkg)
ImportError: No module named helloworld

If someone could point me to what may be wrong that would be great.

Jayson