[U+1] Fwd: Proposal to drop Ubuntu alternate CDs for 12.10

a.grandi at gmail.com a.grandi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 15:21:04 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 28 August 2012 18:14, Nicholas Skaggs <nicholas.skaggs at canonical.com> wrote:
> On 08/28/2012 09:34 AM, Anthony Byrne wrote:
> As Brendan said, I would encourage those of you who have concerns to post
> them back to the ubuntu-devel list @ Steve et la for discussion. If you
> remember back to UDS, the original idea as discussed was that no
> functionality would be lost (aka, the live cd would get support for
> everything the alternate cd could do). They've come close, but RAID support
> didn't quite happen.
>
> Note that If the alternates are dropped for ubuntu, going forward, if you
> wish to install with RAID (or simply want to use an alternative installer)
> you still have the option of using the netboot or mini iso.

excuse me if I ask this, but I really cannot understand.

If you already know that RAID support won't be ready for 12.10, why
don't you wait for the NEXT release to remove the alternate install
Cds?
I cannot understand why it suddenly become so urgent to remove them.
Can't you just wait 6 more months?

Best regards,

--
Andrea Grandi - Nokia-DX/Tampere / Qt Ambassador
Ubuntu Member: https://launchpad.net/~andreagrandi