Introduction - Lee Boorse

Charles Profitt cprofitt at ubuntu.com
Mon May 2 23:45:46 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 13:24 -0400, Lee Boorse wrote:
> Hi all.  I just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself.  My name is Lee
> and I live in the Philadelphia, PA area.  I started experimenting with
> Ubuntu about 6 months ago and was blown away by its relative ease of
> installation.  I had my Dell D620 set up and running with no issue in about
> 30 minutes on Ubuntu 10.10.  A week or so later, I decided to set up Ampache
> and accomplished the LAMP set up plus the Ampache application install in
> about 1 hour.

It is amazing how simple it is considering how the fear and
disinformation crowd tell you it is so much more difficult than Windows.
We need to spread the word so more sys admins can be liberated.

> I then starting looking at Canonical closer and really like their
> philosophies.  I felt the need to try to get more involved.

Our team is a great place to get involved and we can help you find other
teams and areas that you may have interest in as well.

> I currently work as a data center manager for a retail drug store chain.  I
> just recently acquired my Bachelor's degree in Information Technology and am
> now looking for other ways to expand my knowledge.  I've just loaded Ubuntu
> 11.04 on two laptops, 1 old spare off the shelf here at work (IBM Thinkpad
> T43) and my new laptop at home (Acer Aspire 5552).  Contrary to much of the
> feedback I'm reading, I'm enjoying the Unity interface.

That sounds great. The first items for business would be to get a
'guide' (which is an existing member) to assist you in getting all the
basics setup -- launchpad account, wiki page, etc. The best way to do
that is visit us on IRC -- irc.freenode.net #ubuntu-beginners-team and
just ask someone to take you under their wing.

> I stumbled across the Test Team Wiki last week after reading a post in the
> forums about bug posting.  I thought this would be the perfect opportunity
> to get more involved.  I've set up a launchpad account and now, I guess, I'm
> looking for direction on where to go from here.  I'm excited to jump right
> in where ever I can.
>
> Looking forward to getting into the mix.

I look forward to seeing you on-line in IRC and hope we can guide you on
your journey with Ubuntu and the greater Ubuntu community.

Charles