Where is the bug?

Chuck Peters cp at axs.org
Sat May 14 11:10:47 UTC 2011

To introduce myself, once upon a time I was the Systems Administrator
and Executive Director of the Chester County, PA freenet ccil.org and
I have been running Unix/Linux since 95. I feel like I should know how
to answer this question...  How can I do a better job at determining
what package actually has the bug?

lp:#760632 Re: Resizing Konsole crashes the whole system
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/760632
I ran into this bug when testing natty prior to its release.  The bug
report started as a kdebase bug, then moved to xorg and then to
nvidia-graphics drivers.  And now it seems everyone is waiting for
nvidia to fix it.  I'm not convinced it is just a bug with nvidia
because one of the workarounds that seems to work is downgrade some of
the xorg packages or disable compiz effects. So how can I give the
developers something more than maximize or resize konsole and the
system freezes, and one or twice I could login via ssh and kill xorg
or reboot?

lp:778788 mythbuntu-repos overwriting mythbuntu-repos.list without
adjusting for proxy.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/778788
I thought it was against some policy to simply overwrite files like
this in /etc without asking the user.  And the replies to the bug
report were not too satisfying. The first response was partly a cut
and paste to an old post at
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/177, not anything
documented in Ubuntu or Debian.  When I looked for more documentation
on /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/proxy I didn't see anything that would clarify
how I might do that with the way approx does things... So maybe I
should file a documentation bug?  Or open another bug on the
mythbuntu-repos overwriting the file.

I have been running approx this way for more than a year, perhaps more
than 2 years, and it wasn't until recently that the mythbuntu-repos
pakage started doing the file overwriting without asking. Then to top
it all of he closes the bug with "After further discussion and
research marking won't fix. Proxy settings for apt should be
configured in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/proxy"  What discussion?  He didn't
discuss anything with me or point to some mailing list thread or irc
log, because if he had I would have looked for that policy on
overwriting files like this.  I removed mythbuntu-repos package and it
removes the repository authentication key and then i have to manually
add the key, not very user friendly.

I could just do the usual and let someone else file a report and fix
it...  Or better yet maybe one of you knows of another repo package
that does this correctly and then I could compare the two and send in
a patch?

Thanks,
Chuck