Unity and Virtual Box

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Tue Mar 22 18:17:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 10:16:17 -0700
Joseph Areeda <newsreply at areeda.com> wrote:

> My last message on this topic seems to have been truncated.  I'll try again:
>
> Has anyone been able to use Unity with a recent ISO?
>
> I had it working last week (not sure how old that ISO was) but there
> were several issues with the virtual box drivers.  The best bug report
> I've found describing the issue is #738330
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/virtualbox-ose/+bug/738330>
>
> The best I can tell, the natty versions after after some time last week
> require ABI(whatever that is) version 10 but the latest version that
> comes with Virtual Box Drivers (even downloaded from Oracle) is V9.  If
> you load the VBox drivers inside Natty you get V10 but VB complains
> about a version mismatch when natty tries to access the 3D acceleration.
>
> I managed to screw the pooch pretty well adding and removing packages
> from Oracle, aptitude and the GUI package manager.  So I guess I must
> wait until someone else figures out how to do it.
>
> Right now I can do everything in VirtualBox except Unity.  I suppose I
> could install Unity-2D.
>
> Joe
>
> I sent this already from the wrong email account.  Please excuse the
> duplicate if the other gets approved.

Natty with Unity in VirtualBox is hit and miss. Sometimes it works and
sometimes 3d fails in VirtualBox.

Natty with Unity on hardware installations with ATI video and Intel
Video works for me. I am able to install both i386 and Amd64 Ubuntu
Alternate and Desktop images. I tried both cd-r and USB drives for my
installations. I install, restart, update, restart.

--
Charlie Kravetz