Unity and Virtual Box

Joseph Areeda newsreply at areeda.com
Tue Mar 22 17:16:17 UTC 2011

My last message on this topic seems to have been truncated.  I'll try again:

Has anyone been able to use Unity with a recent ISO?

I had it working last week (not sure how old that ISO was) but there
were several issues with the virtual box drivers.  The best bug report
I've found describing the issue is #738330
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/virtualbox-ose/+bug/738330>

The best I can tell, the natty versions after after some time last week
require ABI(whatever that is) version 10 but the latest version that
comes with Virtual Box Drivers (even downloaded from Oracle) is V9.  If
you load the VBox drivers inside Natty you get V10 but VB complains
about a version mismatch when natty tries to access the 3D acceleration.

I managed to screw the pooch pretty well adding and removing packages
from Oracle, aptitude and the GUI package manager.  So I guess I must
wait until someone else figures out how to do it.

Right now I can do everything in VirtualBox except Unity.  I suppose I
could install Unity-2D.

Joe

I sent this already from the wrong email account.  Please excuse the
duplicate if the other gets approved.