package nip2 (7.20.6-1ubuntu2) [universe] in lucid needs updating

Scott Howard showard314 at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 15 17:35:33 UTC 2010

> > At this point in time we are past feature freeze in Lucid's development
> > you will need to follow the Freeze Exception Process:
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FreezeExceptionProcess#FeatureFreeze
>
> I tried to follow that document, I guess I missed a step. Should I
> have assigned my bug to ubuntu-release? Or just subscribed them?

Thanks for your interest in helping Ubuntu be better. We're getting
close to lucid's release, that's why we're picky as to what gets
uploaded (we don't have much time for testing and bug fixing, and
would rather have a slightly outdated version that we know works than
a newer version that might not).

The steps are here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FreezeExceptionProcess#FeatureFreeze%20for%20new%20upstream%20versions

Specifically, the release team will need to see:
- a diff of the upstream changelog
- a pbuilder log (or a PPA for lucid)
- an installation log (prove that it installs)
- a description of the testing you did

After that you can subscribe "ubuntu-release" (do not assign) and
after they acknowledge it you can subscribe "ubuntu-sponsors"

If the upstream changelog only shows bugfixes (no new features or API
changes), you can skip "ubuntu-release" and go straight to sponsors (I
haven't looked too closely at the upstream changelog, so I don't know
if it is the case for your package). I did see that the newest version
in unstable is 7.20.6-2 (not 7.20.6-1) and some library names that it
depends on have changed.
This might be something that we'd want to tackle at the beginning of a
release cycle, prior to freeze. If the package is merely bug fixes,
and it builds easily, it might be eligible for a FFE (feature freeze
exception).
Regards,
Scott