looks like webcam lye about framerate

John Selbie jselbie at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 16 06:22:04 UTC 2010

Webcam video capture is my business in my professional job.  I have yet
to find a USB webcam that ships today that is not capable of 30 fps at
640x480 resolution.  I even went to Fry's and bought some of the really
bad $7 and and $10 webcams made by nameless Chinese companies for
testing our product.  The pictures they produce are crappy, but they do
indeed output 30fps!

The one surprising thing is that some UVC webcams ship with their own
drivers that lower the frame rate for odd reasons at higher
resolutions.  (Some of the MS Lifecams at 720p...).  But if you don't
install the drivers that come with the cameras, then no problem (and
it's not even an issue on Linux).

Now if you want HD and sub-HD resolutions at 30 FPS (high end MS, Logi,
and Creative cameras), then you have pay for the high end models.  And
most of these stream MJPG for usb bandwidth reasons.

I'll be happy to share code.