Quick Feedback from a Beta Tester

Jeff Lane jeffrey.lane at canonical.com
Thu Apr 15 05:07:48 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 00:21 -0400, Jordan Parker wrote:
> Ubuntu QA List-
>
> First off, I'd like to say that if I'm posting this in the wrong
> place, please let me know.

nope... you found one of the right places :) Welcome to the insanity.

> I'd like to provide some beta-testing feedback.  I'm a reasonably

Excellent.  We need feedback.

> So, if there's an ongoing vote as to the default position of these
> buttons, I'd like to respectfully cast a "NAY".

This is about as contentious as vi vs. emacs, or more appropriately, the
infamous Red Hat GCC 2.95 event way back when.

There's a LOT of discussion about it, in many places.

> Additionally, I did have some problems transitioning from 9.10 to
> 10.04b where the update process somehow messed up GRUB, causing me to
> have to manually select which HD to boot from on a BIOS menu, and the
> fglrx driver failed to update and had to be updated manually, after
> which it worked perfectly.
>
> That's my feedback so far. I hope it's helpful.  Again, I just now
> signed up for this mailing list as it seemed the appropriate place to
> put beta feedback.  Please let me know if it's not.
>
> -Jordan

Feedback is always good, however, if you would like to really help out
with your beta testing time, please go to Launchpad.net and create an
account if you have not done so.

Be sure to read this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

and please PLEASE file bugs.

As someone who has been a professional beta/QA test engineer for almost
a decade, and done it for free even longer, I can say that, IMHO, bug
reporting is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of the software development
process.  Bugs can not be fixed if they are not reported, and all
software development efforts rely on a system of entering and tracking
bugs to ensure they are looked at, confirmed, and hopefully fixed or at
least worked around.

So filing a bug for problems you encounter is KEY.  As a tester it is
the number one priority during a test cycle.

Please continue to post your preports and thoughts here and elsewhere,
they are great information and make for good discussion, but also please
file bugs for the things you find as well.  The bug tracker at
launchpad.net is how we, both at Canonical and in the Ubuntu community
in general, track and fix issues before and after a release.

And again, welcome, and thank you for your great report.  You wrote it
out very well, and I think you'll be an excellent addition to the team!

Cheers

Jeff

--
Jeff Lane <jeffrey.lane at canonical.com>