packaging greasemonkey scripts

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 19 19:31:35 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 09:28:41PM -0700, Mike Rooney wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 8:30 PM, Nick Ellery<nick.ellery at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >> The scripts haven't had to be updated very often recently - once every
> >> couple of months.  However, to prevent having to perform lots of Stable
> >> Release Updates we are learning towards only including them in a PPA.
> >
> > I agree that usage of a PPA would make more sense.  For the most part,
> > the only people that use these scripts are people who understand PPAs,
> > so there shouldn't be much difficulty with installation.
>
> I agree as well, a PPA seems like a perfect approach for something like this.
>
> > A unified
> > script would be nice, however I would still like to see some way in
> > which you can install a specific script on its own, be it through a
> > package for each script, or one for all.
> >

> Well, of course you can always do this manually by installing them
> from the launchpad code page by just clicking on them. Though
> bettergmail2 has a UI that allows you to check which scripts you want;
> maybe it wouldn't be too hard to have a basic UI with a checkbox for
> each script that allows you to configure them. One advantage this
> would have is we could put a few more less commonly used ones in and
> disable them by default, but this way they are easily enabled.

The bettergmail2 extension was actually built by a Greasemonkey
multi-script compiler[1].  I've used this to create a new package,
firefox-lp-improvements[2], that includes each greasemonkey script
individually.  Well, the ones that were in lp_unified and
lp_stockreplies.user.js and lp_buttontags.user.js.

The testing I've done indicates that it is possible to add more stock
replies and that your existing ones are safe.  However, if you want to
test this new extension I'd recommend backing up your Firefox profile
just in case.

Additionally, all the scripts are disabled by default (I plan on looking
into this).  You can enable them by going to Tools -> Add Ons and
choosing Launchpad Improvements in the Extensions list.  There should
then be a Preferences button for enabling and disabling them.

Again I'm interested in almost any issues people encounter. ;-)  Team
icons not appearing by people's names is not an issue with the extension
but with Launchpad's edge server[3].

[1]
http://wiki.github.com/ginatrapani/greasemonkey-multi-script-compiler
[2] https://edge.launchpad.net/~gm-dev-launchpad/+archive/ppa